You can update or re-image your SmartServer software using the SmartServer console and a USB flash drive. This is one of three methods of updating your SmartServer software as described in Updating the SmartServer Software. The method described on this page is the easiest if you want to delete all of your data and re-image your SmartServer at the same time. To update or re-image your SmartServer software with the SmartServer console and a USB flash drive, follow these steps:
- Download the update image to your computer. The latest update is at the following location:
Insert a USB flash drive with at least 2GB of available space into a USB connector on your computer.
Warning: Prior to firmware version 2.80, you cannot attach a USB flash drive and a USB network interface, such as the U60, into a SmartServer at the same time. To use both at the same time, plug a powered USB hub into one of the SmartServer USB connectors, and then plug the USB flash drive and all USB network interfaces into the external USB hub. To update the SmartServer software from a USB flash drive without using an external USB hub, first unplug all the USB network interfaces from the SmartServer, and then plug in the USB flash drive. Remove the USB flash drive once the update or re-image process is complete, and then plug in the USB network interfaces. If you are using firmware version 2.80 or higher this warning does not apply.
- If your USB flash drive is not formatted with a FAT32 file system, reformat the drive with a FAT32 file system. On Windows, you can use the Disk Management application in Windows Control Panel to reformat the drive. Be sure to select FAT32 for the format, other formats such as exFAT and NTFS will not work.
- Extract the contents of the update image you downloaded in step 1 to the top-level of your USB flash drive. Do not place the files in a folder on the flash drive.
Eject the flash drive from your computer to flush any cached updates to your drive.
- Write down or take a picture of the SmartServer password that is printed on the back of the SmartServer.
Remove the USB flash drive from your computer and insert it into one of the USB connectors on the SmartServer.
- Connect to the SmartServer console as described in Connecting to Your SmartServer.
- Verify that you have the expected firmware version USB drive image by entering the following command:
If you see a "No such file or directory" error, enter the following command to mount the drive:
sudo mount -o fmask=0022,dmask=0022 /dev/sda1 /media/usb0
- From the console widow (SSH or serial console using com[n] 115200 bps, do the following:
- To update the SmartServer:
- To re-image the SmartServer:
- Enter the [sudo] password when prompted.
- To update the SmartServer:
The SmartServer initiates a reboot after a 1 minute delay, and then performs the upgrade or re-image. During the process, the SmartServer displays status information on your console window, and the LEDs on the SmartServer will blink intermittently. The SmartServer may display error messages during the update process. These are benign and you can ignore them if the update completes and the SmartServer software version number is updated.
The SmartServer automatically reboots when the update or re-image is completed. The SmartServer is fully up and running when you can log into the CMS.
With SmartServer release 3.2 and higher, you can monitor the SmartServer Ready LED for system status.
After the reboot, unmount and remove the flash drive using the following command to unmount the drive prior to removing it:
sudo umount /media/usb0
If you updated your SmartServer, the serial number and password do not change. If you re-imaged your SmartServer, the internal flash memory is wiped clean, the SmartServer's password is reset to its default and the serial number is automatically reapplied to the new image. To change the password, see Managing Passwords in Securing Your SmartServer.
Plug back in any U60/U70/IOXs that you are using.
You can only perform an update when the two versions are compatible. All versions prior to version 2.40.507 are not compatible with newer releases. To update releases prior to 2.40.507, re-image the software.
- Clear your browser cached data after you update or re-image the SmartServer. For information on how to clear cached data, refer to the links below: