You can use the SmartServer to integrate and manage Modbus devices. If you are using Modbus TCP devices, you can interface with them using the SmartServer's built-in Modbus driver and the built-in LAN and WAN Ethernet interfaces. If you are using Modbus RTU devices, you can interface with the using the SmartServer's built-in Modbus driver and the built-in isolated RS-485 interface. The RS-485 interface is only available on the SmartServer IoT EX model. If you do not have an EX model, you can also add an IOX I/O Expansion Module for a Modbus RTU compatible isolated RS-485 interface.
To communicate with a Modbus TCP or Modbus RTU device, follow these steps:
- If you are using a Modbus RTU device and the SmartServer IoT EX RS-485 interface, configure the interface as described in (Optional) Add a Modbus RTU Interface.
- Create a Modbus device interface (XIF) definition as described in (Optional) Creating a Modbus Device Interface (XIF) Definition.
- Create a device type definition for your device as described in Defining Device Types.
- Provision the device as described in Site Provisioning.
- To optionally provide a LON interface for your Modbus device see (Optional) Create a LON Interface for a Modbus Device.
This section includes the following topics: